How does the Paternity Test work in New York State?
All DNA tests in New York State follow special guidelines from the New York State Department of Health. Keep reading to learn more.
1. Purchase the IDENTIGENE Paternity Test.
Find us in the family planning or home testing aisle at CVS, Rite Aid, or Walmart or your local independent pharmacy. Find a store.
2. Get authorization from your doctor or lawyer.
Paternity testing in New York State must be authorized by a physician or attorney licensed in New York.
3. Call IDENTIGENE to make a collection appointment.
IMPORTANT: Your doctor or lawyer can also collect samples for you, which may be less expensive than scheduling a separate collection appointment.
4. Bring your kit and your photo ID to your appointment.
For participants without an ID, the collector can accept a recent, clear photo; the collector may even take a picture at the time of collection. The collector will verify ID and complete a chain-of-custody form for each person.
5. At the appointment, collect samples using simple cheek swabs.
To maintain chain-of-custody, the collector will send all samples and paperwork directly to IDENTIGENE.