The process of immigration to the United States can be an extensive and complex procedure. It takes a lot of time and money. DNA testing for immigration purposes has come a long way in helping a piece of that process become a bit easier.
Before DNA testing, confirming your relationship meant chasing down birth certificates and other legal paper work for relationship confirmation. If the information was not complete, this sometimes meant starting the process over again . . . and again. Now, providing evidence of a relationship for immigration purposes is a great deal more manageable.
The immigration DNA-testing process
- DNA tests as part of the immigration process must be a legal paternity test requested by the United States Embassy.
- Legal paternity testing requires having samples for participants living in the United States collected at a collection facility near their home, by a disinterested third party.
- The Collector supervises testing from collection to submission, ensuring an impartial chain-of-custody process.
- A client support professional from a lab (like IDENTIGENE) schedules the appointment based on the individual’s time requirements, and advises what will be needed for the DNA test collection to help ensure the best possible experience.
- Those living overseas have their DNA test collection conducted at the United States Embassy, or one of their affiliates.
- The price for immigration testing does include the cost of shipping supplies to and from the embassy as well as sending the results to the embassy. Although the lab doesn’t have any control over how long the US Embassy takes to collect DNA for those overseas , we help make the process easier by walking you through the steps you should take prior to the collection so that you’re prepared.
- The samples are all sent to the laboratory for DNA testing.
- Once complete, results are sent directly to the embassy.
In all immigration situations, the US Embassy maintains strict criteria for DNA test results, which we vigorously adhere to. At IDENTIGENE we also do all we can to make the process as easy as possible for you.