DNA is a difficult topic to understand for many. As one of the top DNA testing labs in the world, here are a few of the more unusual questions we’ve fielded along with their answers.
- Question: “If I send you my DNA and a copy of my birth certificate can you tell me if that is really where I was born?”Answer: Unfortunately, your DNA does not contain any information about your birthplace.
- Question: “Can you tell if someone does drugs by testing their DNA?”Answer:No, we cannot. This is a more common question than you might expect. We cannot detect alcohol use or abuse in your DNA either.
- Question: “I was sick with the flu when I swabbed. Will this change my results?”Answer: No, your DNA is not affected by virus or bacteria. It is also not impacted by cancer, HIV, or other diseases.
- Question: “How old do you have to be to test your DNA?”Answer: You can test an unborn child’s DNA by sampling the amniotic fluid of the mother. Meaning, there is no age limit. You can test a child right after he/she is born. Your DNA is the same from the time of conception until you die.
- Question: “Is it possible that my DNA is the Da Vinci Code?”
DNA is a subject that is not always easy to understand. Don’t hesitate to ask questions about it as comments on this blog.